Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Craziness Abound...


Flexin' it brah.
Today marks a day that I actually said aloud: "I do not want to play a console game, I'd rather play something on my iPhone." Oh wow, that was even kind of tough to write. Imagine a gamer who currently owns a PS3, an Xbox360, a PC, and has previously owned nearly every iteration of video game console before those generations (back to a ColecoVision), saying: "Nah, I'm kind of bored with Mass Effect2/Arkham Asylum/World of Warcraft/Red Dead Redemption, I wanna play Fruit Ninja/Infinity Blade/Plants Vs Zombies." As I write this out, I'm being haunted by Words with Friends, and the temptation of picking up "Queens Crown" AND/OR "Inotia 3: Children of Carnia." (edit: too late)

I'm notorious amongst my circle for loving/playing video games, but for me this is kind of an oddity. Granted that smartphone games are becoming more popular, and even widely accepted as challenging, but stealing *my* interest away from my regularly scheduled time-sinks? Something just seems...its almost like I shouldn't be doing it; almost like I'm wasting the value of my other games. Truthfully though, what I really like about these types of games versus "full sized games", aside from the lack price, is that they get right to the heart of why video games are fun: quick objectives and their easy to jump into, and out of (kind of like your mom).

So whats the point of complaining about a medium of gaming that I'm enjoying? I'm not sure yet. Its just weird having a moment at work/classes where I'm thinking: "Man, I can't wait to get back to Aralon and see if I can grind out the last couple of levels.", in the vein of my normal thinking, which is: "Man, I can't wait to get back to the house and knock out ______ for that ending."

I don't think I could finish this post without mentioning the N-Gage. Seriously- How robbed do the guys at Nokia feel? They took a HUGE leap of faith and wanted to create a commercially viable portal gaming device that tied in with your life, and failed. They failed HARD.

Sup.
What about you? What games do you play? Do you ever think about the social difference in playing a game on your phone, versus playing it on a Console/PC? (I'll allow Facebook games as, for the most part, they have to be maintained through your PC).

No comments:

Post a Comment