Thursday, January 20, 2011

Now this is happening

Your joke? Tell it to my face.
Bet you weren't expecting to pay TWO HUNDRED-FIFTY of your american dollars to play some games in futuristic, super A-fucking-mazing 3D. But, there...there you have it. Yep.../hands in pockets.

I know that portable gaming is a gigantic deal these days, but...I...dunno. Something about this seems kinda boring...or problematic, I'll figure it out later. (future chris: I didn't. Deal with it) When you really look at what the device is capable of and what that means, which is cool, something doesn't add up about how that happens. For instance, say that I live in a city that has mass transit- say I live in fabulous Manhattan, NY.

Say. It.

So I'm riding the bus downtown to have a $14 coffee and see a $25 movie, and since the bus ride will be longer than 5 minutes and I have the attention span of two coked up squirells in a Planters peanut factory, wait, where was I going with this? Oh right, the nintendo 3ds has to maintain a steady angle to your line-of-sight to be used correctly. That means that if you're bumped or nudged or riding on a downtown bus to get a $15 dollar coffee and see a $400.00 movie, it kind of defeats the purpose.

Granted I know that most people will be using their 3DS in their homes most of the time...where they have other, more powerful gaming systems awaiting them. BUT! It plays games in 3deeeeeeeeeeeez!!!! :D lolomgffs! Shame it won't play them "in 3d" for very long. Let me clarify- it won't play 3DS games long enough to justify $250. According to geek.com:
Nintendo has now updated its Japanese 3DS website to include a hardware page describing the different components of the system. Here’s the important bits about the battery:
  • 3DS charging time: 3 hours 30 minutes
  • Battery life playing 3DS games: 3-5 hours
  • Battery life playing DS games: 5-8 hours
Nintendo also state that those times are only approximate and may be shorter “depending on operating conditions”. The 8 hours upper limit stated for DS games requires the brightness of the displays be turned right down.

Just to sum up that I think the Nintendo 3DS is, from what I've read and seen online, (since you have to physically hold it to witness what it does), awesome, but $250 is still pretty steep and I really hope that people who buy a 3DS are patient because like any new tech- its going to have its issues.

Hoping to get my hand in one of those again. The Power Glove, not dreamy Jack Vinson...

Awkward.

I could be wrong, I guess- with each new version of gaming that has been introduced, there seems to be some sort of trade-off. What do you guys think? What, if any, complaints do you think about the 3DS will come about? Do you think it'll be perfect?

2 comments:

  1. Riddle me this, do you own the Wizard on DVD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You insult me with that question. I'm now forced to find and watch it! :D

    ReplyDelete